Before I continue, the title was meant to be Nicholas Lazarus and his homophobic views. Ironically, my lab’s servers are homophobic as well and I’d never be able to ever view this entry again if I put the you-know-what word in the title. πŸ™

Anyway, back to the topic of Nicholas and his homophobic views. Now, why don’t I mention “PAP and their homophobic views” instead? Well, although Nicholas is from the Young PAP, but his entry seems to be in contradiction to what MM Lee, SM Goh and PM Lee has emphasized. So, let’s just take it that it’s his personal view until it has been clarified that it’s a party stand.

Since his post is quite a short one, let me turn it into a dialogue πŸ˜›Β

With all this talk about legalizing homosexual acts, I was just pondering what would happen if such acts were indeed legalized.

Yes, actually I would be interested to find out too. Maybe the more you ban it, the more people would like to display it? And perhaps things will just remain how it is? Ok… let’s go on…

Imagine men walking hand in hand with other men down Orchard Road, kissing, fondling and making out.

Hmm… actually that is already happening. Have you been to Little India recently? You haven’t? Gosh… that is a good place to go… great food, nice fruits, lots of jewellery that you can get for a loved one at a good price… and of course, the public display of brotherhood! πŸ™‚ Everyone’s holding hands there… displaying the bonds they have between themselves. It’s something that… the rest of southeast asians didn’t manage to catch on. Maybe it’s just not in the culture. But yes, take a walk down Little India… and you won’t have to imagine.

Kissing? Fondling? Making out? Gee… do you see a lot of heterosexuals doing now? You sound as if implying that gay men are such lustful creatures – and if that’s the case, do you think the law would be able to stop such acts of lust? As a male person, I’m sure you have moments of lust, how often do you suddenly feel like kissing, fondling and making out with someone outside? “Heterosexual acts” are not illegal.

For that matter, imagine all that taking place on the MRT.

Oh.. hehe… our heterosexual students are already doing that in the MRT. No need to imagine too.

Instead of teachers dealing with boy-girl relationships, teachers would have to deal with boy-boy relationships.

I heard from my friends who were from RI, VS and CHS that the teachers have to handle such boy-boy relationships very often – getting them to bond and work as a team in sports and other teamwork. It’s something that they have to deal with everyday.

Oh wait, you mean BBR as in boy-boy romance relationships? Well, if it’s going to happen, it will happen anyway, whether the section is decriminalized or not. You mean you subscribe to the idea that homosexuality may turn out to be pandemic and straight people might suddenly catch it? Gee… do you think you would catch this homosexual disease one day? If you don’t think so, then good for you, because it is not contagious nor infectious. And oh, if you think so, then won’t you be glad that the section is decriminalized?

Then, you might have the homosexuals all over Asia descending upon Singapore to flaunt what they cannot in their own countries.

Haha… what makes you think that all homosexuals will suddenly descend upon Singapore? And… from all over Asia? Gee… you do have good imagination, don’t you? If you have done your research properly, you’d properly know that Singapore is not, will not and will never be the “capital” of homosexuals… because, there are many other places that offers a more friendly environment for them to live in peace, not to mention that Singapore is increasingly expensive place to stay in.

Something to think about for the future of Singapore.

With you around, there may be nothing left to think about. Sorry, I shall decide against personal attacks. I take my words back. But don’t you think that the future of Singapore is a nicer place if it’s ruled based on reason and compassion? Kissing and fondling between heterosexuals are not criminalized, but there’s no rampant problem raising from it. Occassionally, you might see a couple or two trying to make out, but that’s a small fraction of them and most of us just turn a blind eye to it. We may see a couple of young, hunky men (sorry for the generalization) holding hands and so on, but I think you forgot that the majority of Singaporean (and Asian) families are conservative. The risk of holding hands with another person of the same sex and being seen may not be worth it. Imagine being thrown out of the family, taken off the inheritance will and worse, sacked by your homophobic boss!

***

I think something that is being mixed up in these arguments is that people then to mix decriminalization and legalization. These 2 are totally different issues, i.e.

Decriminalization DOES NOT EQUAL Legalization

Singapore may decriminalize homosexual acts, but this does not mean that they legalize it. Homosexuals may want to fight for their legal rights to get married and all, but that’s altogether a different thing and as long as Singapore does not legalize it, there’s nothing they can do.

Moreover, if 2 gay men were to make out in the open, then they can be charged for being a public nuisance and indecent exposure. They get the same rights and treatment as heterosexual couples. I hope people (especially Nicholas Lazarus) will be able to see that.

And I somehow want to agree with Han, Nicholas is quite a disgrace to the PAP, young or not.

1. Rikki | July 31st, 2007 at 11:03 pm

Nicely said. Homo or Hetero both are same! Lazarus you’re one Homophobic politician! Thanks for showing us your colors!

SO MUCH FOR ONE PEOPLE, ONE NATION, ONE SINGAPORE! BLEAH!

2. Daphne Maia | July 31st, 2007 at 11:23 pm

well put, jean. i think he was just shooting his mouth off, without thinking.

oh wait. looking thru his other posts, i am obliged to insert the word ‘again’. he was just shooting his mouth off again. tsk.

let’s hope there aren’t too many of this lazarus kind in YPAP.

3. arzhou (adrian) | August 1st, 2007 at 2:25 am

Its sad to see such people around. The point is aren’t homosexuals also human beings? Everyone should be given fair and equal treatment regardless of race, religion, and now sexual preference. Why should anyone be considered lesser or inferior cos of who they are?

4. Miccheng | August 1st, 2007 at 2:38 am

I’ll imagine the fella getting a nice grilling from his superiors in the party.

I also suspect that the YP Exco will have to issue a press statement soon about this matter – which at the end (ironically), will reinforce Nicolas’ point in a more diplomatic way.

Ha ha… don’t believe me? Watch this space!

5. Simply Jean | August 1st, 2007 at 2:55 am

@Rikki: Ya… I was quite shocked that this came out from a Young PAP’r. Totally non-diplomatic at all. Hmm… and National Day is round the corner too. Hmm… Will gays not be allowed into the NDP?

@Daphne: I was thinking that he’s speaking up for those who do not agree to the decriminalization, but his statements just do not make sense at all.

@arzhou: Oh… sexual preference is excluded from the pledge and I can’t believe that people are using that as an argument. Gosh!

@miccheng: Hehe… maybe it’s gonna be the new party line?

6. Miccheng | August 1st, 2007 at 2:59 am

What? “Elect us or we’ll grill ya behind”?

7. voxy | August 1st, 2007 at 3:15 am

Homophobic boss? My boss is a lesbian butch. ^^

8. Simply Jean | August 1st, 2007 at 3:27 am

@miccheng: grill behind where? (^_^)

@voxy: heh.. i’ve worked with gay bosses before and I think they are great people. Don’t know how’s it like with a lesbian butch though (o_O)

9. simply nuts | August 1st, 2007 at 9:27 am

i read somewhere. they say, fuck the values since nobody really lives by it anyway when life here is all about money anyway. lets keep and share the loot instead. i am thinking, can you get at the eggs without getting the cock out of the way? no true values nevermind, your children may not even have the shells! haha

10. DK | August 1st, 2007 at 9:30 am

Haiz… this is the kind of quality people we get form YPAP.

11. Simply Jean | August 1st, 2007 at 1:19 pm

@simply nuts: hmmm… pink dollar?

@DK: actually the latest theory I got is that Nicholas is a double agent… showing people how ridiculous the current laws are. What do you think?

12. Daphne Maia | August 1st, 2007 at 8:10 pm

forgot to say this: i like how u pointed out the difference between decriminalization and legalization. at least some people reading this are going to get some education. haha…

13. Andrew | August 1st, 2007 at 8:35 pm

I am just curious as to why the mainstream media hasn’t picked up on this. Just 2 days ago, they reported two ex-WP members quarrelling on sammyboy forum.

The Internet is talking about it. We have a listing of blogs which are commenting on NIcholas Lazarus.

It’s really really sad to me that we have such people – Nicholas Lazarus, Wee Shu Min – in the PAP or related to people in the PAP.

14. xizor2000 | August 1st, 2007 at 8:46 pm

Just to point out, when those Indians in Little India hold hands they are not necessarily homosexuals.

15. Simply Jean | August 1st, 2007 at 9:25 pm

@Daphne: hehe.. thanks! πŸ™‚ Actually that was more a Eureka while I was discussing with my friend about the consequences of decriminalization, particularly on the “making out” portion… I hope this helps with educating the public

@Andrew: erm… I’m not sure about mainstream media. At one time, I thought they are more open about such issues. Maybe they are too busy covering more important issues like new arrival notification systems at bus stops, the record 61,900 jobs created in last quarter, or perhaps Zoe’s contract being suspended (which was later refuted)…

@Xizor: Oh.. hehe.. ya, I forgot to point that out. They are not necessarily homosexuals. I’d think that it’s their culture or their way of brotherhood bonding. I’m not sure. Anyone would like to contribute on this?

16. Rikki | August 2nd, 2007 at 12:00 am

Hi Jean.

I personally thinks that why out of sudden the gay issue is being brought up. I know that Singapore is trying to be a more “open-minded” country but if the topic is being argue each and everytime and the government is suppressing gay’s rights, whats the use of being open anyway. Back to square one they still don’t accept the idea of having gays “roaming around freely” on this island.

So are we still being “open” about it? Maybe yes to having an open discussion but certainly not acceptance. What’s the point of discussing anyway… Juz to prove to the world that we’re an open society?

As long as there’s people like Lazarus around – I don’t think we’re up to that standard yet. Not now.

17. Tan | August 2nd, 2007 at 4:41 pm

From SBF:
    ————————————————–
    Nicholas Lazarus has a fetish for Russian women. That’s why he doesn’t like arsehole bandits.

***************
    Newsgroups: soc.penpals
    From: law30…@leonis.nus.sg (NICHOLAS PHILIP LAZARUS)
    Date: 1997/05/26
    Subject: Russian women
    Reply to author | Forward | Print | Individual message | Show original | Report this message | Find messages by this author

Hello,

My name is Nicholas Lazarus and I am looking out for Russian women to
    correspond with.

Please e-mail.

Reply Reply to author Forward

18. Tan | August 2nd, 2007 at 4:43 pm

Another attempt to taste some Russian delicacies.
    ********
    1. NICHOLAS PHILIP LAZARUS
    Hide options May 26 1997, 7:00 pm
    Newsgroups: soc.culture.russian
    From: law30…@leonis.nus.sg (NICHOLAS PHILIP LAZARUS)
    Date: 1997/05/26
    Subject: Pen pals

Hello,

My name is Nicholas Lazarus from Singapore. I am a law student and I would like to correspond with Russian women.

Please e- mail.

19. David | November 3rd, 2007 at 3:29 am

Human rights refers to “the basic rights and freedoms to which all humans are entitled, often held to include the right to life and liberty, freedom of thought and expression, and equality before the law.”[1] The United Nations Universal Declaration of Human Rights states, “All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood

I am worry how long Singapore can be maintain success while the new generation step backward.

20. DJ | July 3rd, 2008 at 4:05 pm

Dear Jean,

Bravo bravo. I applaud you for your hnoest views on this
    “Nicholas Lazarus.” I have been following the Young PAP blog for a few months and I find his posts increasingly distasteful and more and more reflective of someone out of touch and the ground level and locked up in his invory tower among the elites.

I applaud you for your well written post and I hope many more will be able to adopt your mentality and not swallow everything certain elements of the ruling party may hurl at us.