Cheated badly…

Rants August 27th, 2007

I had been taken for a ride over the weekend. I am not sure if the other person thinks that it is a good joke or prank, but I am definitely suffering the repercussions of his joke. I am not sure why he would want to continue this game, but I just found out that he’s not an entirely honest person. People may not want to blow the whistle, but I don’t think that he deserve my kindness now.

I had been kicked out of my house because of my 3 cats and now I need to look for a place to stay. I put a short note on my MSN stating that I was looking for a room. Ryan Lin (Webzoomr) saw that and offered his place for me to put up, at least for the time being. He’s a nice person, at first, and offered the master bedroom since I am a girl. I insisted on the smaller room but he insisted otherwise. In addition, he didn’t want to accept rent from me, which I was surprised by, but we agreed to split the cost if I were to use the aircon.

So that was it. Arrangements were made for me to move in last Friday (24/8/2007) evening. Apparently my cats and his dog would take up a room and he and I will take up one room each. He supposedly had an appointment with the “Yolk guys” in JB on Thursday and was spending the night there. He was supposed to come back on Friday night and I was supposed to meet him then.

And hence, my friends and myself waited. And waited. And waited. No sign of Ryan. Eventually, as it approached 12 midnight, one of my friends offered me his place for the night, and faced with no signs of hope, I shifted to my friend’s place for the night. There was a case of a guy being slashed and my friends and I hoped that nothing bad happened to him.

At his place, I went online and Ryan was on MSN. He mentioned that he had the wrong food and had diarrhoea. Apparently, he was back at the hotel after seeing the doctor and would not be coming back on Saturday. The earliest that he would be back would probably be Sunday morning. For the rest of Saturday, I was basically left doing nothing. I had my PC with me, my laptop, 2 monitors, a luggage, 3 kitties and their stuffs. Basically, I was immobilized. Zilch. Saturday wasted. No work done.

Come Sunday. I ping’ed him in the late morning and early afternoon. Apparently he was supposed to check out at 3pm, then 5pm. Then he went offline. We talked over MSN and I told him that I would be waiting for him at the McDonald near his place. And again, there was no show. No even an SMS. Sunday night was gone.

Today, I checked my email and he said that I couldn’t move in. One apology. No reason given.

Hey, Mr Ryan Lin @ Maung Myo Thwe Lin @ Webzoomr, if you didn’t intend to let out your place, why don’t you just let me know earlier. You made me wait for 3 nights, wasted my entire weekend and gave me the number of some other guy by the name of Mike for me to look for him for a place to rent? What do you take me for? A fool? I think I am really a fool for believing you in the first place.

Now I am stuck outside, PC, Laptop, monitors. luggage, kitties and stuffs in hand and I’ve got nowhere to go now. All thanks to Mr Ryan! I might be able to find accommodation shortly, but I am now on the losing end and may not be able to find a place for the kitties.

If you have a solution for me, please email me or let me know. I am pretty much in dire straits now.

1. DK | August 27th, 2007 at 12:46 pm

Cheer up gal.

2. nicole | August 27th, 2007 at 12:52 pm

hey jean, are you still working in NTU? if so, perhaps you might want to try the NEC, Nanyang Executive Center to get temp lodgings for a while. Not sure about the cost though, $60 perhaps?

I hope this helps! Cheers, and may your problems be settled soon 🙂

3. Ryan | August 27th, 2007 at 1:44 pm

Jean,

Sometimes things happen against our wishes which left us with so little choice to make. I got no other choice to make except this which make things to turn nasty.

I’ve got nothing to say except for a repeated sorry as the fault lies with me.

4. Miccheng | August 27th, 2007 at 1:58 pm

Mr Lin seems to be a habitual liar and cheat.

When i got him to do some project for my ex-company, Comwerks, he promised the work will be done within 2 wks. I was skeptical initially that anyone could achieve so much work in 2 wks. He kept assuring us he can do it.

There was no news after 2 weeks – continued queries through phone calls and SMSes yielded nothing. It was a good thing that the project was merely an in-house one. If it were for a client – we’ll be in hot soup.

Mr Lin replied later quoted “family emergency” as a lame ass excuse for missing the deadline. It was inexcusable to be incognito for so long.

Apparently i am not the first to be duped by him – Aen Tan (from Aen Direct) would share the same experience as me.

5. Ryan | August 27th, 2007 at 2:28 pm

Firstly, it was just a “testing” project which nothing was signed, nothing was paid and obviously nothing had done. If it wasn’t for my family emergency, I would have done the project without any problem.

Yes, the problem that I had with Aen Tan was the only regret I have so far in my career.

Reason I am replying here instead of keeping quiet is simple, I may have done things wrong, and I have no problem admitting them but those mistakes teach me things that I need to change and pursue.

Mich, thanks for raking up my past. Those are a few regrets and mistakes I have made in my life, and which I always remind myself not to repeat again.

Regarding Jean’s issue, it’s completely unintentional.

6. Miccheng | August 27th, 2007 at 3:52 pm

Thankfully no money was spent on that project. I didn’t recall mentioning that it was a “testing” project. In any case, you should have been a little bit more responsive – we’ll understand if there was a “family emergency”.

Ryan, I had no intention of raking up the past. In fact, I had wanted to give you another chance…

But you pulled this shit on my friend – i can’t stand by and do nothing. Guess you messed with the wrong lady.

7. Kriscell | August 27th, 2007 at 5:57 pm

Jean if you need to find an agent can let me know. I can ask for wife for his friend. But not sure if that will solve your immediate issue.

8. paced | August 27th, 2007 at 7:12 pm

Mr Ryan, if you think you cannot do it, don’t say you can, promise anything or let pple wait. At least make an effort to contact and say that you can’t. You cannot just leave pple “hanging” like that. In the long run, pple will distrust you and you will be viewed as someone who has no integrity. And I guess no one likes that.

Jean, how about trying a backpackers hotel? They are cheaper but I don’t know if they allow pets. Good Luck!

9. xizor2000 | August 27th, 2007 at 7:14 pm

Give this guy Wilson Lim a call.

+65 9667 9395

Say a JP from AFF introduced you.

10. Ryan | August 27th, 2007 at 8:05 pm

Miccheng,

No I do not blame you for raking up my past, it’s a right thing to do and sincere thanks to you from me. So I can have a chance to explain and make things clear. In fact, I didn’t pull any stunt on Jean at all (I got no benefit from doing that), if it seems like that, it’s totally unintentional. I even told some of my close friends (who know Jean as well) that Jean was moving in with me.

Paced,

Yes, I don’t do that anymore and I repeatedly admit that it was my fault for not able to contact at that time which still make me regret.

11. DK | August 27th, 2007 at 10:37 pm

Xizor: You sure that one not your own handphone number? 😛
    Hahaha….. kidding.

Jean: Cheer up. Everyone at ping.sg will try their best to help you. Take care.

12. arzhou (adrian) | August 28th, 2007 at 12:06 am

Jean: Cheer up k, things will turn out fine

13. Aen Tan | August 28th, 2007 at 12:50 pm

Yes Ryan still owes me money and had landed me in quite some trouble. Even bringing him to small claims where he was ordered to pay me back by the magistrate, I still have not received my money till today. His “latest” reason to me was that his parents passed away and he need time to sort things out.

After reading this post, I am convinced that Ryan has no intention of paying his debt at all and is conveniently finding excuses after excuses to avoid repayment thinking I would eventually give up. The fact I am reading this post means I have not and never will.

I will either enforce the writ of seizure and sale or file a civil action suit against you. Final final final chance already. My advice has been given in front of all who has read this post.

14. Ming Yeow | August 29th, 2007 at 1:19 am

Ryan has problems communicating issues that involves letting people down. He has also lost both of his parents recently as well. It is not hard to see how this string of incidents might have come up, and it is not wrong of Jean, Aen, and Mich to form these negative impressions.

Having worked with Ryan, his flaws in communication are very obvious. He finds it very difficult to communicate anything that involves letting some one down, and he is not someone who is able to share personal thoughts and all readily, especially offline.

Whether it is with Mich or Jean, it is not so much that Ryan was gaining anything from it, which in fact he did not gain anything except badwill. it is his fear of communicating stuff that let down people that let him to eventually procrastinate any replies.

Does it sound irrational to you? Not communicating, procrastinating, making things worst? You bet it is irrational, but i think everyone has fears that make us do things that are not the best for us.

I saw the chat transcript of him and Jean, and it was a very vague ending where i can see how he did not promise to meet her, but jean would very well think so.

For Aen, i would only implore you not to be affected by this post, and make your decision based on your past experience. This specific posting has nothing to do with Ryan’s dishonesty, he gained nothing out of the above 2 incidents actually.

Lastly lastly…. i really hope everyone who gets to know Ryan can appreciate the gentle and very helpful person he is, and help him overcome some of his very bad communication issues.

I personally vouch for Ryan, and i believe that i would not be proven anything else.

15. Aen Tan | August 29th, 2007 at 8:36 am

Ming Yeow, I’ll have a word with you through email, since it has nothing to do with Jean’s predicament.

16. Ming Yeow | August 29th, 2007 at 1:53 pm

yes, lets do so via email. get me @ mingyeow@gmail.

would like to understand more from your perspective too.

as indicated above, ryan did not gain anything from either mich or jean, and i believe it is his communication flaw that caused them to happen.

your case is obviously different, and would be good to understand it from you as well

17. Miccheng | August 29th, 2007 at 4:17 pm

Ming Yeow, i have no doubt abt his likable characteristics. For his sake, i wish he will take your advise. Still…

18. Miccheng | August 29th, 2007 at 4:19 pm

Oh… one more thing… I dun like being called “Mich”… sounds a little feminine.

Mic, Mike, Michael, Miccheng… all acceptable.

19. Ming Yeow | August 30th, 2007 at 12:08 am

@miKE: yup, time will tell. this post just reminds me of how many people i myself have let down before, and not having the courage to say sorry. including to you. sigh

20. Miccheng | August 30th, 2007 at 1:44 am

@mingyeow: what about? Just MSN me lah… michaelchengchimun@hotmail.com

21. xizor2000 | August 30th, 2007 at 10:25 am

Ming Yeow, it’s not so much about letting people down in this case that’s the issue. It’s about the lack of an update from Ryan.

People will all need to deal with disappointment with others from time to time but isn’t it worse when no one tells you what’s going on after what you expect didn’t materialise?

While I agree with you Ryan is having some serious problems on his own but even if the other party is going to be upset for the failure to meet the expectations, there is still the responsibility to inform (and then perhaps come to a compromise). One can’t just leave it dangling and hope the matter will blow over. It will only make the matter worse. We all need to learn to face the music even though we might not know how to handle another person’s disappointment.

For e.g. where I work, failure to update my users after they have reported their computer problems to us can result in disciplinary action – reprimand letter or even termination. The user may not like what we tell them, but they agree that as long as we tell them what’s going on, they will have to live with it. 🙂

22. Bitbot | September 1st, 2007 at 12:27 am

I believe Ryan’s problem is the phobia of telling people bad news, and having to face the fact that they might react in a disappointed / upsetting manner. Its like sometimes when we have some really bad news, we don’t tell our parents right away but maybe delay by a few days until the “right” moment because we’re worried about the reaction we’ll get from our parents.

I’m sure all of us have dealt with the phobia of breaking the bad news to others sometime or another in our lives, especially when we were young.

23. Nic | September 2nd, 2007 at 12:59 pm

I agree with Ming Yeow, Ryan needs to learn to manage people’s expectations but he’s not all as bad as he’s being made out to be here.

Although what he did in this case was very wrong, I can also sympathize with his situation.

Hey Jean, I just popped you an email on your cats.

24. Simply Jean » Blog Archive » Should I even bother? | November 13th, 2007 at 5:20 pm

[…] /2007/08/27/cheated-badly/ (F) […]