I’m not too sure if my views here are going to be a little biased, but yes, I think I’d give my 2 cents view about services on board Singapore Airlines.

The cabin crew on board SQ is usually blasted for favouring the Caucasians but my trip to Seoul seemed alright. Ok, perhaps there are no Caucasians on board, or maybe there were lesser of them, but I thought their level of service was fantastic. Fine, they forgot about my pack of playing cards, but on their next drinks round the leading steward remembered and offered it with another glass of Baileys on the rocks, which I was already finishing. So, the level of service isn’t really that bad afterall. Occasionally, they make small talk with you, which sorts of make flying more than 6 hours easier.

I thoroughly enjoyed the flight, especially with their inflight entertainment system. Just 2 rounds of Simpsons makes 45 minutes pass rather quickly. Admittedly, this is my first time flying SQ after 4 years because their pricing is rather out of range for my pockets (which I think Jaron also agrees, where he’s hoping for some discounts and concessions), but I don’t blame them because they are a commercial entity and they have their shareholders to answer to – it is a supply and demand game at the end of the day. The reason why I managed to fly SQ this time round is because they had some offer tickets for the morning flights, which I think isn’t really popular because no one likes to get up early in the morning for a flight. But I think it is better than an afternoon flight because you’ll lose a whole day on the plane.

Overall, I enjoyed my experience flying on SQ, perhaps more so than any other airlines that I have flown on. Perhaps, like I said, it could be due to the lack of Caucasians for me to see the difference. However, at the end of the day, if we treat them with respect, they will treat us well. It’s mutual, I guess.

1. precious | October 18th, 2007 at 7:12 pm

Personally, I am a big fan of Malaysia Airlines. When I was really small, I flew to Sydney but my parents had to take an earlier flight.

It was just me and my brother, unchaperoned, so the air stewardesses really doted on us.

They gave us so much extra attention throughout the flight, I even remember one girl leading us to the pantry area where she slid out trays and trays of yummy sliced fruits. We could pick whatever that we want.

Before we boarded the light, they were the ones who held our hands and walked us to the plane. After the flight, they were also the ones who took our hands and led us until we’ve picked up our luggage and ran out to our mum and dad.

2. Simply Jean | October 18th, 2007 at 10:52 pm

@precious: Yup yup, I flew with MAS once. Their service was quite good and their crew is uber friendly. I was on long haul with them and there was a stopover at Dubai. Both crew from the KL-Dubai and Dubai-NJ sectors were very friendly and nice. Very attentive too – and definitely not losing out to Singapore Airlines.

I can imagine the joy you had when you saw that trays and trays of yummy sliced fruits! Haha…

3. precious | October 19th, 2007 at 2:43 am

By the way, whatever happened to your kitties? Are they still with you? Did you manage to find someone to care for them when you were away?

4. Simply Jean | October 19th, 2007 at 4:38 pm

@precious: yup… but I just learnt that the person who was supposed to look after my kitties…. MIA’d! Sigh. Why does this always happen to me. 🙁

5. Miccheng | October 19th, 2007 at 4:53 pm

Heh… i share ur sentiments abt SQ. I flew to Brisbane & UK on SQ. They do have better in-flight services compared to BA & Qantas.

But i must admit that certain air stewards do pay extra attention to Caucasians. Not that i mind – cos i like to be left alone when i fly – won’t even interact with my neighbours unless i really have to.

Hope u are well in Korea.

6. Zit Seng | October 19th, 2007 at 5:23 pm

While on the whole SQ is doing a good job, I feel their claimed level of inflight service is over-rated. I asked for a panadol and they forgot about it. I asked for water and they forgot too. And how many times have I seen them asking around passengers because they forgot who asked for the whatever it is they brought back from the galley. I know this is nitpicking a little, and most other airlines probably won’t fare any better… but haha that’s what happens when they raise our expectations too much.

I imagine they do much better in Business and Raffles class (never had the opportunity to experience flying SQ in those classes).

7. Miccheng | October 19th, 2007 at 6:36 pm

Flew Cathay Pacific to HK earlier this year and i must say their in flight service is just as good. Oh… i prefer Cathay Pacific’s in flight meals – they serve yoghurt!

8. Dev | January 20th, 2008 at 6:02 pm

I just came to Singapore from LA on an SQ flight. wonderful flight. Wide seats, substantailly more leg room and reclining almost 150 degree. All on economy class. This was heaven compared to the dirty, dusty, cattle class run by United / lufthansa, which I flew earlier. United does not even dust the inside of their planes ‘TED” it appears. The sunlight threw up a beam of dust sparkling inside..

And the price – the same as Singapore, on a per mile basis..

There has to be a legislation that gaurantee basic comforts inside flights as it deals with health and therefore moeny lost in many ways..

Dev