Or maybe it’s just me who got it wrong from the start…

Got this letter from M1 yesterday and at first glance, I thought something didn’t sound quite right, or at least not what I thought it was. See if you can spot anything wrong here:

Dear Valued Customer,

In response to customer feedback, M1 will now increase the limit on month data usage to 50GB.

With effect from 1 November 2007, you will enjoy more freedom to download, email and surf with up to 50GB of data every month, for the same monthly subscription on your current Broadband plan. Any incremental usage beyond the free data bundle of 5GB will be charged at the usual rate of $4.28/GB, in blocks of 1GB, up to a maximum of 50GB.

We value your support and look forward to providing you with further service enhancements.

For more details, please visit our website at www.m1.com.sg/broadband

Click below to see what doesn’t sound right…

At first, I thought they were going to increase my free bundle (of 5GB) up to 50GB (to compete with Starhub’s bundle of unlimited data usage). Then I realised that… it’s not the case! What they actually meant was that instead of charging you up to 10GB (as per previous service agreement, if information is still old at the URL provided), now they can charge you up to 50GB!

So… I was thinking to myself, what’s the point of the letter? I’m still capped at 5GB anyway! I hope no one else mistook the meaning and thought that it meant more free data bundle.

This is really misleading. M1 shouldn’t have sent out this letter.

1. FoxTwo | October 29th, 2007 at 8:12 pm

Well they need to send out the letter so that if you exceed your 5GB a month and they bill you up to 50GB, you won’t jump and scream at them…

10GB at $4.28 per GB is about $42.80 over and above your subscription. 50GB at the same price is $200+ over and above your current subscription.

I’m not with M1 though so I may be wrong.

2. DK | October 29th, 2007 at 8:51 pm

What’s new? They always send misleading stuff.

3. malique | October 29th, 2007 at 9:15 pm

im gonna unsubscribe next month.
    totally not worth it, in my honest opinion.
    (compared to fix-residential line internet)

4. Simply Jean | October 29th, 2007 at 10:09 pm

@FoxTwo: Yup yup… but the way the phrase it.. especially with the Starhub competition now – it’s as if they upped the free bundle. Yes, they can now bill me up to $200+ instead of just $42.80.

@DK: is it? it’s the first time that i am with M1

@malique: oh? I thought it was a rather good deal… i’m on the lowest (384kbps) plan, which they have just upgraded to 512kbps. Seems faster than my middle-tiered MaxOnline though 😛

5. Ming | October 30th, 2007 at 9:29 am

You didn’t read properly lah. I saw the catch immediately when I read that letter. They clearly said that “Any incremental usage beyond the free data bundle of 5GB will be charged at the usual rate of $4.28/GB” what.

6. Simply Jean | October 30th, 2007 at 9:52 am

@Ming: Ya lor… I was blur because after reading the first line, I immediately thought “wah! so good! now can use up to 50GB”, and when they start talking about charging over 5GB, I thought it was a typo… and then realised that it just means they can charge me more now. I pity my friends who started downloading heavy stuffs.

7. James Chia | October 30th, 2007 at 10:39 am

Con job! Someone who does not read carefully might really use 50 GB and faint when the next bill comes!

8. Neo | October 30th, 2007 at 11:47 am

It is a waste of paper to send out such misleading messages. I pity the trees

9. FoxTwo | October 30th, 2007 at 4:55 pm

Well, at least they cap at $200+. Pity the poor Singtel user who got billed $13,000 (“discounted” to $6K) a month or so ago…..

10. Star | November 1st, 2007 at 8:58 pm

What’s funny is that this increment is due to ‘customer feedback’. THeir customers sure download, email and surf alot

11. P | November 2nd, 2007 at 12:23 pm

I WAS on M1 broadband since their initial introduction.

I also received the said letter, read the title and after a quick glance through the paragraphs, I was “misled”.

After reading your blog and the letter, I just signed up with another mobile ISP today.

12. EDMW | November 2nd, 2007 at 9:47 pm

Bo

Its time to jump ship to green pipe

13. Anonymous | November 5th, 2007 at 4:14 pm

This is not the first time M1 has attempted to mislead its customers into paying for their services. I personally experienced the same for their telephone service and the whole experience left a bad taste in my mouth.

So M1 customers, read the fine print. Better yet, call them every time you get a letter offering a “better deal” to confirm how it works. Because otherwise, they screw you over and claim you “consented” (by not objecting) to this “better deal”.

14. Scope | November 5th, 2007 at 5:01 pm

Waliao… you all very brave. Wait you kena sued by M1 then you know…

Nowadays, maybe they sue customers who make noise.
    No believe? I got one arrow myself. Hahaha…

Fucking service quality in Singapore.

Scope.

15. K | November 6th, 2007 at 2:38 pm

I signed up for M1 broadband service BEFORE the 5GB limit was slapped. At that point of time, it seems like paying customers really do not have a say anymore…. My view is, if your f*** network is unable to support the data load, then don’t provide the service. Premium package for higher download speed when the data were capped at 5GB translated to “you’ll start paying for the additional GB sooner”. Anyway nowadays, what’s 5GB? wake up M1.

16. JC | December 7th, 2007 at 12:22 am

hmmmm …. tot m1 is alrdy offering unlimited alrdy… no more 5GB the orange giant has awaken!!! hello no on knows ??? hmmm network seems b** as compared to the others but they are the lowest in town n i dun get tied dwn with their service… freedom …

17. M1 Broadband Now Unlimited! at Constructive Deconstruction | December 7th, 2007 at 6:44 am

[…] Anyway, since then they’ve increased the chargeable cap to 50GB(which means after the initial 5GB, they can keep charging you per GB until you hit 50GB!) which was announced in a rather deceiving announcement letter. Jean talks about that here. […]

18. vinyx | December 19th, 2007 at 12:21 pm

Guys .. Check the latest update .. M1 is offering unlimited access now after Singtel offer 50GB access.

Way to go man .. Competition is good for the consumers .. yeah

19. VoIP | February 5th, 2008 at 9:37 am

Hi,

What a great post. Thank you for your hard effort. It’s a brilliant work.

20. fajri.freebsd.or.id - Announcement from M1 Broadband | June 12th, 2008 at 2:45 am

[…] For more details, please visit our website at http://www.m1.com.sg/broadband. taken from: simplyjean. […]