This had been an extremely popular questions amongst my friends: What don’t I wear skirts? – particularly amongst my guy friends. Well, that was at least a few years ago, and people don’t really bother asking me nowadays.

Actually part of the reason is pretty obvious nowadays. If you just turn to the papers (yes, Straits Times), you’d find many cases of upskirt videos, upskirt cameras and all. There’s always the fear of that happened. Some guys probably won’t understand it, but it can be quite a traumatic experience.

The other thing is of course the convenience of *not* wearing a skirt, because when I don one, then I have to be careful of the way I sit. Haha… yes, I think I can be quite a chor lor person at times =P but that aside, it does have some restrictions on what you can do and what you can’t; like cycling from one lab in school to somewhere else. =P

Quite obviously, my fear is shared with many people who had been upskirt victims. I’ve got no idea why men would do something like this when p*rn is readily available on the internet? I’m also sure that there are upskirt pictures out there as well! Perhaps it’s for the thrill of it.

According to a friend of mine, her brother admits that sex (or anything related) is always predominant in a guy’s head – to what extent a guy can control it is up to the individual. Hmm… I’m not sure how true it is, but I’ve no way to find out.

A NIGHT out with a male friend was marred when Jane (not her real name) sensed that a middle-aged man behind her on the escalator was too close for comfort.

Dressed in a blouse and miniskirt, she was at Tiong Bahru Plaza to catch a movie.

Turning around, she caught hawker Kwan Tuck Fatt with his mobile phone held underneath her skirt.

Jane’s immediate reaction was to elbow him in the stomach, but the pot-bellied, balding man got bolder, and accused her of punching him.

She then tried to grab his mobile phone, but he put up a struggle until her friend joined in to wrest the device from the man.

‘He kept insisting he did not do anything wrong and tried deleting the photos,’ Jane told The Straits Times.

But scrolling through his mobile phone, Jane found not only ‘upskirt’ snapshots of herself but of 40 other women; and images of a man and woman having sexual intercourse.

‘He begged me to let him go, saying he would delete the photos, but I was very angry,’ Jane added.

Security staff and later, the police, were called in. The man was arrested.

Last month, the 47-year-old pleaded guilty to insulting Jane’s modesty and was jailed for a month.

Even though it has been two years since the incident, Jane, now 22, is still traumatised.

‘What made me angry was that he tried to deny it at first,’ she said.

‘I also don’t want to wear skirts that often anymore because the hard truth is that the only way to stop such acts is to stop wearing short skirts,’ she said.

CAROLYN QUEK

Article obtained from straitstimes.com on 15th November 2007

1. Miccheng | November 15th, 2007 at 10:50 am

*waves fist* i’ll crush him… crush him like a cockroach!

2. nicole | November 15th, 2007 at 10:59 am

Jean, i too, am scared of wearing skirts out too πŸ™ still trying to overcome the fear of wearing it to outside place, especially with a lot of pervertic pple doing pervertic acts.

=X

how i miss my skirts >

3. Daphne Maia | November 15th, 2007 at 11:06 am

i don’t wear pants… i only wear skirts.

but i think i try to be more aware of people standing too close to me… aiyah in any case… if it really happens that someone is able to take an upskirt photo of me… then so be it. as long as my face is not in the photo haha.

my logic is always this… we can’t control what others do. we sometimes fall prey to such things, and to others like robberies, thefts, (choy choy choy) etc. that’s fate, we can’t control it. so don’t worry too much.

besides… if someone wants to see my undies… i will show him. a lot leh, in my wardrobe… πŸ˜€

4. Daphne Maia | November 15th, 2007 at 11:07 am

OH, i forgot to say that i don’t wear pants cos i find it so unbearable in singapore’s hot weather! the few times that i do wear a skirt, i feel as if i’m going to melt inside.

5. DK | November 15th, 2007 at 3:29 pm

Don’t worry. When you wear a skirt, I’m sure all the guys will rush to be your bodyguard.

6. ProFire | November 15th, 2007 at 7:29 pm

I can’t believe my girlfriend actually don’t mind having her undies shown. She wears skirts, not just any skirt, but mini skirts.

Her relatives get her mini-skirts too.

Haiyo…
    Jean, any advise for my girl?
    Or recommendation?
    Or is it me that needs a lesson?

7. snowbiscuits | November 15th, 2007 at 10:15 pm

i am more of a “skirt” person than a “pants” person. i think to wear a skirt, one needs to be aware of how to avoid incidents like upskirt photos, or not sitting properly.

8. Simply Jean | November 15th, 2007 at 10:31 pm

@miccheng: you’re the man! hehe… bodyguard for hire? =P

@nicole: ya.. i know what you mean. hmm.. my dresses are still hanging in the closet…

@daphnemaia: haha… no lah.. even if it’s in my wardrobe, i still won’t show it to anyone else… and yes, Singapore is a really hot place for pants. So have to stay indoors most of the time until it’s evening.

@DK: er… no lor… don’t have =(

@ProFire: Well… it really depends. I guess it’s a trend thing. I’d suppose your girlfriend is quite young? Hmm… it could be because she’s under the influence of her friends? There are many factors…

@snowbiscuits: hehe.. i’d like to be a skirt person, but i guess it takes some time. i miss my dresses and skirts. =( just like nicole.

9. ByPasing | November 15th, 2007 at 11:14 pm

Haha~I’m sure when u’r wearing skirt on your date, your date will be there to bodyguard you.

10. magicalstar | November 16th, 2007 at 2:10 am

I love skirts! and in fact i used to have no pants at all in my wardrobe. now i have a pathetic 2 pairs of jeans haha, oh and some tights.

hmm i’m more careful when wearing short skirts, especially going up the stairs and escalators etc, must hold the back of the skirt if not some ppl below may unintentionally get a good view if they happen to look up.

actually I guess if you’re more used to pants, then you might find skirts abit “ma fan” la, gotta make sure sit with legs closed, stand up must make sure to smooth the back of skirt down, must hold skirt when got strong wind etc..lol but i’m kinda used to all that liao, though I get many people asking me why I wanna wear skirt since it’s so troublesome.

11. Nabeel | November 16th, 2007 at 6:35 am

And they call Islam a religion that restricts women. It only protects them. (Disabling men from even undressing women with their minds – cameras aside.)

12. wayne | August 18th, 2008 at 1:02 am

Girls if you want to wear jeans/trousers good for you,but if you really want to wear skirts but are scared of guys seeing your knickers I would not worry about it. if theres a few of you im sure you could grab any camera off a guy and maybe even sort him out with a good slap if he tried to take a photo up your skirt. I sometimes wonder what some of these guys would do who try to take photos up girls skirts if a group of girls actually pinned the guy down. would he be so keen to see up her skirt then? I know I wouldn`t.

theredsfan72@aol.com

13. Kristy | November 11th, 2008 at 6:24 am

I think it is a pity that fear is
    leading people to make these decisions

Come on girls. Be proud of your femininity
    We dont have to dress one way of the other
    because we are afraid of what some me
    and in particular really way out
    weird men may or may not do.

Have your own identity be a girl and be
    proud to be feminine.