I’m not quite sure what kind of chaos my previous entry generated, but I suspected that the blogger of http://www.leuchtturm3.blogspot.com/ could have been badly flamed, judging from his last entry:

Dear Fellow Bloggers,
I am surprised that my blog has seen harsh and four letter word comments from some bloggers. And the problem is that I don’t really know which part of my blog has resulted in these comments. If any of you think that my blog is offending , please be specific in your comments on parts which you think is offending. Please do not use four letter words in the comment section as my younger sibling, who is 11 years old, also visits my blog and these words are not appropriate for her.

By the way, I have to admit that I do not know well the region where Singapore and Malaysia are located. Maybe some of the bloggers would want to educate me a little of the region and its people. I am always thrilled to meet new friends from all parts of the world and to learn their culture and history. Maybe someday when I have enough money, I can visit Singapore and Malaysia.

I would appreciate positive, constructive and civil comments from all of you out there.

Leuchtturm3

Really, the only thing questionable were:

• the first post of just a picture of Pedra Branca
  • the now not so recent post of “Pulau Batu Puteh Lighthouse”
  • plagiarism from wikipedia (which really isn’t so bad… yet)
  • changing the name from Cape May Lighthouse to Pulau Batu Puteh but forgetting to change the hyperlink (that’s how I knew it was Cape May Lighthouse)
  • the timing of the blog, which started just before the court hearing

Actually, it could all jolly well be a coincidence. It could be… bad timing. The blogger could jolly well be an innocent party in this entire event; which reminded me of this Just-for-Laughs snippet where the cashier (one of the actors) took out the cash till and handed over to an unsuspecting customer and when the latter turns around, there was a policeman (an actor too) and when the customer turns around to face the cashier, the cashier’s hands were raised as if he was being robbed.

So the blogger (Leuchtturm3) could jolly well be the customer, the policeman could be the courts and the cashier… erm… better not say.

However, if the blogger’s sister really read the comments, then I would really feel bad. Nonetheless, despite all these “harsh and four letter word comments from some bloggers”, I am quite surprised at his composure. I think this is something that I should learn from him.

By the way, have you seen:

Hmm… come to think of it, how many people knows that Pedra Branca is also known as Pulau Batu Puteh? Or am I a frog in a well?

1. arzhou (adrian) | November 21st, 2007 at 11:01 pm

Overall, i think that blog is sort of highly suspicious. But hey its just my thoughts.

2. james | November 22nd, 2007 at 8:13 am

check your facts before you post it, this is a responsible act

3. Daily SG: 22 Nov 2007 « The Singapore Daily | November 22nd, 2007 at 11:13 am

[…] Pedra Branca – reHASHplus: The science behind Pedra Branca pictures–Photo technique and perspective compression – All and Sundry Singapore: Malaysia to claim Pedra Branca using unverified blog photos? – Simply Jean: Poor Pulau Batu Puteh blogger.. […]

4. The J-thing | November 22nd, 2007 at 4:27 pm

It’s not a coincidence. His latest post is merely a weak attempt to deflect attention from him by playing on the conscience of others towards children.

But it is entirely possible that:
    -the 11-year-old sister does not exist
    -because, seriously, what’s so interesting about his blog that his 11-year-old lighthouse-crazy sister visits on such a regular basis?
    -The point about not knowing the region is probably also a bluff. How can you claim to not know the region well, why the interest in Pedra Branca that he has to post THREE photos of it? And to call it Pulau Batu Puteh instead of Pedra Branca, the more well-known and accepted name? In fact, the Wikipedia entry on Pulau Batu Puteh redirects to Pedra Branca. What are the chances that someone who stays supposedly so far away that he has no money to come here and doesn’t know this area well, will call this island Pulau Batu Puteh (Malay) instead of Pedra Branca (Portugese) which is probably more familiar-sounding to someone from the West (as his username seems to suggest)?
    -In the first place, why would he want to replace Cape May with Pulau Batu Puteh if he has no hidden agenda in the matter?
    -Plus all the other questionable coincidences you mentioned.

My own conjecture is that the blog was set up by Malaysia to fabricate supposedly neutral evidence in order to mislead the court. But that’s just my own opinion….

5. Tanaki | November 23rd, 2007 at 9:00 pm

I remember about 50 years ago the British who were leaving Singapore informed the local incumbents in the Govt that they,the British, were going to hand over the administration of Christmas Island to Australia as it was so far away from Singapore, and closer to Australia. As a token, a compensation will be paid to Singapore. The political opposition then (which include some present political leaders in Singapore) leverage this into some untruths, gleefully accused the then Govt of selling Christmas Island, and made huge political capital out of it. Most Singaporeans blindly believed it.

As a child I grew up believing that Lim Yew Hock, Chew Swee Kee and Co did really sold the island for money which they pocketed. What dishonesty. What injustice.

I sympathise with the Malaysian Team, sent to defend a hopeless case, and yet failed to do due diligence. They will go home to face being blamed for losing Pedra Branca.

I only hope that when Singapore wins this case they will not gloat.

6. Zhanzhao | November 28th, 2007 at 5:30 pm

All the comments raising all the suspicious issues with his blog has been removed, including

1) someone who actually tracked his IP to Selangor, Malaysia,

2) All his pictures were grabbed from Wikipedia, EXCEPT the one of the Pedra Branca lighthouse. Yes, the one which created all the furor. Many raised this point, asking him where he got the picture from, since it cannot be taken personally by him as he has not been to the region before….

3) Pedra Branca is the more commonly used name (google is a good indicator) and yet he just happened to pick the less obscure, Malaysia “recognized” name for the blog.

and many more qustions about the blog which will never be seen again since it was deleted.

If this really was his interest, it would be really interesting to see when this guy updates his blog again…. especially now that the case is over.

7. Warlord_Z | November 29th, 2007 at 1:33 am

Just give the damn island to Singapore already. Its making Malaysia look like a land hungry country. We just got Sipadan and Ligitan, let Singapore have Pedra Branca or whatever its called and give Ambalat to Indonesia. All this bickering ain’t doing anybody good. People fight over land. We’re fighting over rocks (Pedra Branca) and sea (Ambalat)?!!! Get a hold of yourselves. Sooner or later we’re gonna fight over air!!!

8. Zhanzhao | November 29th, 2007 at 2:45 pm

Airspace is demarcated according to the land below it, so we ARE already fighting for air.

9. Warlord_Z | November 29th, 2007 at 10:39 pm

Hmm…good point, lol!

10. K A Wong | December 2nd, 2007 at 10:10 am

The proper name is Horsburgh Lighthouse as known by mariners throughout the world.

11. Zhanzhao | December 4th, 2007 at 12:28 pm

What do we have here…. the blogger recently updated his blog, saying that from nwo on it will be a “private” blog….

12. Sentri | December 16th, 2007 at 8:16 pm

That’s odd…does blogspot have the feature to make only selected entries public and the rest private? Thought it could only be entirely one or the other.

13. Singh kak pok rean | January 31st, 2008 at 11:11 am

What we have here is a classic case of two countries fighting an all out litigation to win the case. Regardless of credibility or accuracy, the losing party will give a last burst of fire. In a last attempt to prove or misled the case to their advantage. The soured relationship between these two country will go on for a few decades thats for sure. The real interesting event will be the ability to accept the ICA verdict by both countries. With the escalated profile and media coverage of this case, it has inevitably been attached onto each country national pride to win the case. With the release of the verdict will still bring further unrest and squabbles.

Mr Singh

14. izuyam | May 23rd, 2008 at 11:47 pm

yes, you are a frog in a well.