Quite unfortunately, the taxi that we tried to board just outside Orchard Presbyterian Church refused to pick us up after asking us where we were going. It was a destination that was just down the streets so technically even if he was changing shift, there’s no reason for him not to be able to pick us.

I think the mentality of such drivers should change – and drivers should stop doing complaining about not having enough pay – if they consistently refuse to pick passengers up.

Sigh… I’m not sure how well Comfort Delgro take complaints, but there were 4 of us who witnessed this. So you better prepare a good explanation.

1. Taximan | December 25th, 2007 at 1:07 pm

I think the problem here is about the taximan having a right to decide what he does with his taxi.

He has the right to decide and no amount of complaining to his taxi company is going to change that.

When taxi drivers earn 5-8K a month, all these issues will disappear.

In the meantime, trying to control their income, and tweak a faulty fare system is not going to help.

Start fighting for the taximan, because he is just like you. A worker.

2. DK | December 25th, 2007 at 3:42 pm

Taximan: I disagree. If a taxi driver earns 5 – 8k per month, such issue will become worst. That is because they can afford to choose customer.

Perhaps the taxi drivers should understand that in most occupation, the employee does not have the rights to choose customer.

3. xizor2000 | December 25th, 2007 at 4:41 pm

The service provided by a cab is to take a passenger from point A to point B, and the passenger will pay whatever stated on the meter.

There was no other conditions to that service – i.e. I must go to a destination at the cab’s convenience. If the cabbie needs to change shift or attend to an advance booking, then get out of the regular supply and to change shift or attend to that booking. Don’t give me the crap that you are trying to earn a few more bucks by stopping by a cab stand or the road hoping I’ll go to where you’ll go!

Above which, there is no reason the cabbie should go and hide until I will be forced by a cabbie to start my trip at the time when he would earn a few more bucks. The reason I want to start my trip early is because I don’t want to pay that extra and now someone is bending the rules to make me pay that extra and there’s definitely no reasons I should take that lying down or take the MRT… after all why I didn’t take the MRT in the first place is obvious, isn’t it?

4. a_x | December 26th, 2007 at 6:15 am

Should have immediately reported to the LTA’s hotline (I posted the number before in one of your articles).

5. Spending my Xmas Eve with Jean, Alice, Ariel, Miccheng and Edmund | Everything under the Sun | December 26th, 2007 at 12:27 pm

[…] is better prepare for a very good explanaion cos he don’t know who he’s messing with. Jean, the famous blogger, will Ahem do her best la. We got a taxi up cairnhill. It’s really […]

6. Simply Jean | December 27th, 2007 at 1:52 am

@Taximan: The only way to fight for the taximan, at least from my perspective, is for the taxi company to lower the rent. Do you think that’s possible?

@DK: Sometimes I even wonder if the taxi driver is considered the employee? Given the track record of how the taxi companies raise the rental fees months after raising the taxi fares.

@xizor2000: At times, by the time I got a taxi, I’d have reached my destination if I were to just take a bus. Then again, I heard something about bulky items not allowed on buses.

@a_x: Hmm… I heard that LTA reads my blog =P Haha… to complain or not to complain. That’s a tough question.

7. karl | April 14th, 2008 at 3:46 am

why complain when it is happening in all industry
    first look at yourself?
    remember what our pm said
    NATO meaning
    no proper action plan but talk only
    be more creative and speak of solution if you have otherwise you are the problem yourself.

8. maviton | June 28th, 2008 at 1:09 pm

If a taxi driver earns 5 – 8k per month, who will still wants to study in a university. Lets all of us become a taxi driver. Face it, you simple need to know how to drive and recognise the road, no other big deal than these two so call SKILLS, which dont even need a GCE O level. Taxi driver earns 5-8k.. crazy.. might as well let them take home 20k a month by complaining so much..

9. jeff | July 6th, 2008 at 5:15 pm

taxi-shb 3318j,phee peng soon,city cab.
    The driver no manners,attitude,heavy tone.
    please take note of it.
    Please try to change ur bad habits!