Are you archived?

Singapore January 7th, 2008

The National Library Board (NLB) who manages all the regional and community libraries in Singapore, have started on a project almost 15 months ago to archive local blog content as an effort to preserve a comprehensive record of online content here. However, only blogs that are created by individuals who are recognised as experts in their fields, famous personalities or are award winning will be considered.

At first read, it seems like elitism at its best again. Then again, we shouldn’t be so petty about it, right? After all, I’m sure I don’t want to be remembered for the wrong reasons. =)

HOME-GROWN blogs are making history, literally.

The National Library Board (NLB) is adding blogs to Singapore’s historical archives as part of its efforts to retain a comprehensive record of online content.

In all, the library aims to archive some 100 blogs by the end of the year.

Eleven have been selected so far, ranging from offerings such as Air-Conditioned Nation (http://cherian.blogspot.com) by media academic Cherian George, to the satirical Mr Brown (www.mrbrown.com).

Mr Raju Buddharaju, the library’s director of digital resources and services, described blogs as an ‘invaluable’ source of news and social commentary for the present and future generations of Singaporeans.

‘Content from blogs often offers views which would otherwise not be accessible from mainstream media,’ he said.

Even so, the library is selective when it comes to deciding which blogs to archive.

Only those produced by individuals who are recognised experts in their respective fields of knowledge, famous personalities or award-winning blogs will be considered, Mr Raju said.

The library will take digital snapshots of the selected blogs at least once a year and post their contents on its web archive – available at www.nlb.gov.sg. Access is open and free to the public.

Assistant Professor Lim Sun Sun, who teaches new media studies at the National University of Singapore, described the NLB’s efforts as ‘far-sighted’.

‘This affirms the importance of blogs in adding to the public sphere and contributing to the growth of public discussion,’ she said.

The move towards an official repository of blogs marks the second phase of the NLB’s efforts to document online media.

Its web archiving project, which began in October 2006, targeted websites initially. So far, around 25,000 local websites of social and historical value have been recorded.

The NLB’s eventual goal is to archive most, if not all, websites in the .sg domain – which are those registered here – by 2010.

Archiving of online material is not unique to Singapore. China and Japan have similar archives, and popular search engines Google and Yahoo also archive selected free online news articles.

Yawningbread.org, a prominent blog championing gay rights, is also being archived by the NLB. The blog’s founder Alex Au said he is ‘honoured’ to be included.

‘It shows that the Government considers even blogs known for their dissenting articles as valuable material for our future generations,’ he said.

Said Dr George, who has three blogs looking at various aspects of Singapore media and politics in the archives: ‘This is not about the authorities giving legitimacy to individual blogs.

‘It is part of a welcome movement in Singapore to recognise the value of multiple perspectives in telling the Singapore story.’

klin@sph.com.sg

Article obtained from straitstimes.com on 7th January 2007

1. Search Engine Optimization Direct » Blog Archive » Are you archived? | January 7th, 2008 at 3:16 pm

[…] blinky article is brought to you using rss feeds.Here are some of the top articles on search engine optimization.China and Japan have similar archives, and popular search engines Google and Yahoo also archive selected free online news articles. Yawningbread.org, a prominent blog championing gay rights, is also being archived by the NLB. … […]

2. Ivan Chew | January 9th, 2008 at 12:58 am

Hey Jean, I can recommend your blog! 🙂

3. jolly green giant | January 9th, 2008 at 3:52 pm

I remember once a some people did a singapore blogosphere review and everyone was mentioned except this one grp. They even had whole chunks of their comments delete. All I know is the incident disgusted me enough to turn off from the net for nearly 6 months.

No guesses as to who will be and who will not be mentioned again.

But you know what Jean? May not believe me when I say this. But they just made them maybe 5 or 6 times stronger, leaner and faster.

What are they going do when they come knocking on the NLB’s door one day?

Ignore them again?

4. jolly green giant | January 9th, 2008 at 4:52 pm

What I cannot seem to understand is why was it so difficult for Bernard Leong not to give that Darkness character an answer – the cost of the Intelligent Singaporean going down was too high. I knew it would happen. I just knew deep inside.

The Waste Of It All!

5. Darkness | January 9th, 2008 at 10:34 pm

“At first read, it seems like elitism at its best again. Then again, we shouldn’t be so petty about it, right?”

You actually believe life is that simple? I tell you what, what if I said to you that the holocaust was just a dream, would that it petty for me to assume so?

You do not seem to get the gist of the point do you? This is not a matter of what is petty, trivial or even the stuff that goes between my balls on a Sunday afternoon, it is about accuracy, it is about what it means to be a professional. It is all about what it means to be the raison for the raison.

When I started gaming I learnt a few things. One day a group of ppl came along and destroyed everything I built in the virtual. I tried to reason with them, they did again. So I reason with them and they did it again. So one day, I destroy their world and burn it into glass and they didnt do it anymore.

The NLB has made a decision – so have we, no Olympics. It goes to Hong Kong.

They can go and archive that.

I am darkness 2008

6. Darkness | January 9th, 2008 at 10:36 pm

They will learn. I promise you. I will teach them.

7. oppy | January 10th, 2008 at 1:55 pm

They (the Bro) took away all our work. All the ppl working on the code, programming etc for the Beijing Olympics have been told to stop working.

I wonder who wins?

8. sphgal | January 10th, 2008 at 3:11 pm

Hello,

Seems to me the fall out is pretty widespread. I have been trying to get a scoop on this, but I have not been able to get any access to those gaming forums.

To be very honest with you, I have no idea what the bru-hu-hullah is all abt. No one even takes the NLB seriously these days.

9. sphgirl | January 10th, 2008 at 5:01 pm

Personally I feel what the NLB does is irrelevant. No one takes them seriously, not even the ppl who work in NLB. This is just another lame attempt at classifying something as kosher and if I know the brotherhood, they will just render it irrelevant by setting up their own benchmark very much in the same way they once blunted the Singapore Blogo Review by casting it aside.

All they have really done is maybe make them 10 to 20 times stronger.

10. Global Voices amin´ny teny malagasy » Singapore: tranomboky mitahiry Bolongana | January 11th, 2008 at 2:34 pm

[…] ao Singapore no miresaka ny fiezahan’ny tranombokim-pirenena ao Singapore hitahiry ny voasoratra anaty bolongana ao […]

11. queenie | January 11th, 2008 at 4:14 pm

NLB? I really don’t believe anyone takes them seriously. Do you I believe everything abt the Singapore narrative from an official stand point?
    Mmmmmmmmmmmmh!

12. JG Scientist | January 12th, 2008 at 9:42 am

NLB? Since when did they do anything significant. All they seem to do is spend public money building white elephants. I mean if you really want to know how loopy they are, go and take a look at the new NL in Bugis. They have 90% of the space in common area and only maybe 2% to do the really important things like studying.

Then they wonder why ppl complain? Same with this whole review. Who even takes them seriously? As for Cherian George, I am sorry, cannot connect with him, know him, but might as well be a million miles away.

Overseas Red Passport Holder

13. Simply Jean | January 28th, 2008 at 11:00 pm

@Ivan: thanks! 🙂 let’s take this offline 😛

14. Darkness | February 2nd, 2008 at 11:55 pm

You only think you know what is going on – the key and operative word, you need to need to share with Ivan is “only” not “think” – but trust me you have no idea. I will stop here for now, tell NLB it is over.

However, one more incident like this again and I will be back.

Without Prejudice, of course

Darkness 2008

15. kikilala | March 14th, 2008 at 7:31 pm

Yippie! I finally found the brotherhood press. Can someone please direct me to their nearest space station? Where are they hunkering down now? I would greatly appreciate it, if some kind soul can assist us all, as we are all Malaysians and they have just disappeared without a trace from the radar.

Miss Ong L K

16. traveller | March 19th, 2008 at 11:39 am

I believe they are here KikiLaLa,

After reading this. I really think it was awlfully stupid for NLB to have only limited it to just 11 blogs. I still dont know why the BP is still making a big deal out of it. I am afraid now, even if the NLB wants to make peace, it will be too late.

Good Luck KikiLaLa and I hope the link helps. Do pass it around, this came to me by chance as well. I think they have gone underground proper.

17. spara | February 4th, 2014 at 6:15 am

I like the helpful information you provide in your articles.
    I will bookmark your blog and check again here frequently.
    I’m quite sure I will learn lots of new stuff right here! Best of luck for
    the next!