Update: I was told that in addition to what I have written below, another thing to consider is that Nuffnang sends its crawlers every 48 hours to ensure that your blog does not violate the regulations. I’m not sure how true this is, but a few people have been telling me so. Thanks Yuhui.

I just got the following email from the Nuffnang mailer about their exclusivity program and wonder if it was worth it:

Dear Nuffnangers,

Today Nuffnang has successfully established itself as the blog advertising market leader in both Malaysia and Singapore. As such we have also faced increasing pressure from many of our loyal exclusive Nuffnangers to enact an exclusive program, rewarding them for their loyalty.

We have always kept it as no secret that we often give priority to our exclusive Nuffnangers in everything from community events to even the serving of ads.

However with the establishment of the Nuffnang Gliteratti, we have now crystallized these benefits as part of our community policy.

Please note that the Nuffnang Gliterati will take effect automatically from the 13th of January 2008.

To view the benefits of being a Nuffnang Glitterati, click here.

Best regards,
Ming
Co-Founder
Nuffnang.com

Not knowing what it was all about, I decided to take a look at their website:

Why You Should Join The Nuffnang Gliterrati

1) Payment Rates for both Cost Per Unique Visitor and Cost-Per-Click.

The less ads a blogger has on his blog, the higher share of voice and the less each ad will have to compete with other ads for attention. Hence, the higher the CTR and the higher the value of that particular ad space on the blog.

That is why for example you will never see 8 different ads on the same page on a newspaper unless it’s in the Classifieds where each advertiser pays a small amount.

As a result of that, Glitterati Nuffnangers will earn 20-40% more than ordinary Nuffnangers.

2) Payment Terms

In the advertising industry just like in many industries, payment from advertisers come from specific terms like 60 or 90 days. In the past, Nuffnang has used its cash reserves to pay off bloggers for campaigns that we still have not been paid for by our clients. Due to the great increase of bloggers in the Nuffnang community, we are no longer able to provide this service for all our Nuffnangers and unfortunately will have to restrict this service to Nuffnang Gliterrati.

However, all Nuffnangers will still be paid in a timely manner as stipulated in the Program Table.

3) Advertorial Opportunities

Many bloggers know that while banner ad campaigns earn a decent stable income, it is advertorials that pay the most. Each advertorial depending on the advertiser, commitment and traffic can earn a blogger a minimum of SGD 50 to SGD 1,500 not including freebies that may sometimes be included.

In the past, advertorial opportunities were available for all our Nuffnangers. However, due to the high demand for advertorials and the need for us to narrow down which blogger of the thousands will get advertorials, only exclusive bloggers will now be eligible for advertorials.

4) Community Events

Nuffnang is known to organize the biggest community events ever which range from free movie screenings, lunch meet ups and many more. We find that in many of these events, many Nuffnangers would like to bring guests along with them and we at Nuffnang would like to oblige as much as we can.

As such, 70% of the seats for each event will be allocated to Nuffnang Gliterrati AND the guests they may bring.

5) Contests

Contests among Nuffnangers have been something we’ve been having quite a lot with many bloggers winning everything from free meals at Friday’s to mobile phones or even the upcoming contest of a free trip to Gold Coast. With the high demand for these contests, we will give priority to Nuffnang Gliterrati with 70% of the prizes to be allocated to them and the remaining 30% to be allocated to non-Nuffnang Gliterrati.

6) Innit

Innit is a tool developed and hosted by Nuffnang to add the additional service of driving traffic to any Nuffnang blog. This tool will now only be restricted to Nuffnang Gliterrati since it is within our best interest of our community not to indirectly drive any traffic to a future competing network.

The vast majority of the Nuffnang Community is already eligible for the exclusive program so there isn’t much to worry about. All of us at Nuffnang sincerely hope that this new initiative will show how much we do appreciate your loyalty.

After reading the FAQ, some of the questions that ran through my mind included:

• Is there any guarantee of advertisements? Or do I end up advertising for them for free 90% of the time?
  • How much more are we looking at? I wasn’t sure if there’s a definitely banded-rate… at least not where I could find
  • There are priorities for community events and contests… then again, would I prefer this over payments?

Of course, I am comparing Nuffnang against Advertlets and Blog2U. It’s quite a pity that Advertlets incurred some bad PR recently – and it cost me 1 day’s worth of readership, minus those who read my blog via feeds – thank goodness for RSS! – then again, it was quite a traumatic experience for some of my readers, while others in my blog rolls wondered if I shut down for good; but I guess this sorts of equalizes Nuffnang and Advertlets – the $1.00 admin fee for withdrawing from Nuffnang and the redirection of blogs to some cyber-squatter for Advertlets. Of course, Blog2U also had its fair share of bad publicity, when one of their overworked staff at 1am sent out an email that exposed all the other bloggers’ email addresses.

Back to this exclusivity issue. Advertlets does provide me with a somewhat passive continuous income based on the readership of this blog, whereas Nuffnang provides only spasmodic income. Blog2U also belongs to the spasmodic model, but there’s no worry about future-dated money. So, really there are pros and cons to becoming exclusive to one advertising company – and there are many other factors to consider too.

For me, one of the more serious questions I have is whether advertisements will be more frequent. After all, it’s quite pointless when I have high traffic with zero ads. For those who wants summarized comparison, here you go:

Exclusive Nuffnangers

Non-Exclusive Nuffnangers

Payment Rates (CPM) Set A Bands. Earnings to be 20-50% Higher than current blog income. Set B Bands. Earnings to be 20-50% Lower than Exclusive Nuffnangers
Payment Rates (CPC) Minimum SGD 0.25 per click. Minimum SGD 0.15 per click.
Payment Terms 30 Days from End of Month Requested 60 Days from End of Month Requested
Advertorial Opportunities Eligible Non-Eligible
Community Events 70% of seats allocated for Nuffnangers. Guests allowed. 30% of seats allocated to blogger only.
Contest Winners 70% of prizes to Exclusive 30% of prizes to non-Exclusive.
Use of Innit.com Eligible Not Eligible

1. Dump Advertlets and I love You, NuffNang? | Internet Income | Technology, Online Business, Scripting, Food, Travel, Whatever and Anything | January 7th, 2008 at 8:58 pm

[…] don’t want to repeat the details here, you can read, here, here, here, here, […]

2. Ivan | January 7th, 2008 at 8:59 pm

‘Is there any guarantee of advertisements? Or do I end up advertising for them for free 90% of the time?’ Isn’t this the same as the complains made by many running free advertisements for them? Unless there is a guarantee else what is the worth? More like blocking other advertisements from google, blog2u, advertlets, grabmyad.

3. jialat | January 7th, 2008 at 10:47 pm

I tot Google Adsense will not be affected?

4. arzhou (adrian) | January 8th, 2008 at 12:05 am

Very objective post Jean. I guess from my perspective I would rather keep a diversity of ad units. More on my views maybe tmr when i blog.

Jialat: All ad units means all ad units.

5. xizor2000 | January 8th, 2008 at 12:16 am

Who is going to guarantee that there will be ads for starters? When I go around reading blogs, the ads from NN are far and few in between. So, anyone who is considering the offer should just look at the track record on how often NN ads are served on their blog.

If the track record is zero ads served, 20% – 50% more earnings is still zero, no? Or I need to go kick my maths teacher for telling me that anything multiply by zero is always zero?

6. Princessa | January 8th, 2008 at 1:37 am

I somewhat feel that the “package” isn’t attractive enough to close doors to other possible opportunities.

7. Weeheewee | January 8th, 2008 at 3:28 am

The most important question has to be can they match what other advertising companies are offering us on our blog? If not they are going to shoot themself in the foot instead.

No sane bloggers would go for their gliterati and forsake the rest. And we would rather live with the conditions that they rewrote.(the removal of the original benefits and placed them in something now they called gliterati)

Or is this a well calculated gimmick to remove their responsbility of providing something they had provided from the first day? Lets see…

1) Lesser chance to attend events..
    2) Payment delayed further…
    3) Usage of Innit denied..

and of course many more… I mean these are things already in the market for nuffnangers. How can they just remove it and placed it in some kind of gliterati bloggers who are considered in their measure who sits on some kind of nuffnang curtained sedan chair ?

This is liken to starting a nuffnang membership and only those that turn its back on other competitors are allow to join. Are they losing confidence on themself now that they have to use such tactic to shut out other competitors by their own rules on their bloggers? Can they honestly believe they can succeed in their business in using ‘FORCE’ to restrict flow of their competitor’s business?

My prediction is they will find it hard to get their gliterati model working because there are not providing enough substantial earnings to replace earnings from elsewhere. In short, it is not connected. What we can earn from elsewhere is not relevant to them at all. How they are trying to make the connection seems like one string is not enough of me to call it comical but enough for me to think it.

In short, they are putting themself out of the market, kinda like removing themself out of the thing they created. It would be more counter productive than anything else.

8. ignorantsoup | January 8th, 2008 at 9:27 am

To say the truth, Advertlets pay me more than Nuffnang. If I were to sign up with this Glittery thing (which doesn’t seem to glitter), I will lose more than the amount I could gain.

The 20% – 50% gain will not be able to offset the decrease in revenue if I had more ads..

9. kormmandos | January 8th, 2008 at 10:00 am

I can’t help but think the boss is constantly reminding us that he’s just a rich brat, and a prick…

And that’s not to mention 5 emails from them beating their chest about their Glitterati.

10. Mindy Lok | January 8th, 2008 at 10:08 am

I work in a advertising firm handling a public transport corp’s ad space. Sometimes companies want the entire train to have only their advertisements and no one else. Possible but have to pay higher with more commitments also. If not, we will be breaking the rice bowl by blocking other potential sales.

Nuffnang is very young so attempting this is to my view very limited in its view. You are not isolating others but you are isolating your own banner with others like advertlets, blog2u not using back these bloggers if they go back to them when nuffnang don’t run ads or pay enough.

Bloggers end up isolating themselves and seen as belonging to this camp and boot out to join others.

11. chillycraps | January 8th, 2008 at 11:22 am

somehow, personally i feel like NN is still pretty much close loop… that’s personal feeling, it may not be the actual case.

from the pov of a blogger, advertlets pay me more (that is, until they send the cheque of my cashout) Consumers will always want the best for ourselves =)

12. Nuffnang Is Trying To Make You Monogamous But They Get To Keep A Harem. — AMP on the Red Dot | January 8th, 2008 at 4:42 pm

[…] If you’re considering to only allow Nuffnang to serve ads on your blog then maybe reading this post by Simply Jean and that of similar bloggers discussing the issue might […]

13. Walker | January 8th, 2008 at 4:44 pm

As i understand from what it says, the crawler would crawl your web and once you do not have any advertisements from elsewhere, you would be in the glitterati club. But what if after i am in the club, i put an advertisement on my blog? Do they remove me from glitterati? How? Since the crawlers are not crawling everyday.

Also if i am in the club, but no advertisement, then why should i give up the potential of other advertisement?

A good mode is one that provide a win win situation. Theirs are a lose-win situation. Can’t see it getting far.

14. My view on NuffNang's Exclusive Offer | arzhou.com | January 8th, 2008 at 5:08 pm

[…] Simplyjean’s blogpost on it is another good read on this and the comments left by some fellow bloggers on that post are pretty objective and give a good rationale view. At least in my opinion. […]

15. onlooker | January 8th, 2008 at 11:00 pm

Oh I especially like being redirect to nuffnang site when I was going to the website I bookmarked all 12 of them go to the same website XD.

16. mIcheLLe | January 8th, 2008 at 11:33 pm

Hello there, I asked the people at Nuffnang and they say it’s okay to have Google adsense on your blogs. 🙂

17. cowboycaleb | January 9th, 2008 at 9:58 am

Excellent summary – I’m joining the exclusive club. Sounds like a good deal.

18. fireopal | September 27th, 2008 at 8:46 am

I have been with nuffnang glitterati programe for near to a year now and the number of campaigns is like so little!!! It really pales the Sahara desert in comparison!

19. ehra2008 | May 31st, 2011 at 3:11 pm

I am just new in Nuffnang and I am reading loads of complain about getting few ads from it in our blog so I prefer not to become a Glitterati program because I am using Adsense in my blogs

20. Claudia | August 9th, 2011 at 6:04 am

Nuffnang got so little ads for us!

21. source | June 7th, 2013 at 12:45 am

Hey! I know this is sort of off-topic but I needed to ask.
    Does operating a well-established website like yours require a lot of work?
    I’m brand new to operating a blog however I do write in my diary daily. I’d like to start a blog so I can easily
    share my experience and thoughts online. Please let me know
    if you have any ideas or tips for new aspiring bloggers.

Thankyou!

22. Miss Nia | September 9th, 2013 at 8:45 pm

hi, I am just a month active in blogger with nuffnang add. It is so disappoint me if nuffnang only pay me RM1.00 on CPC not for my 600 unique visitor and 1200 view. I am student, I hope if I can really earn more RM100 per month! its make me down because I waste my time on nuffnang.:( . I already sent the ticket to nuffnang about this 3 days ago but they are not reply me yet. why?

please do support and visit to my beauty blog : https://lemonteaicenia.blogspot.com

23. Jaqueline Friedberg | March 4th, 2014 at 12:31 pm

The best mugshots reviews on the net at Jacqueline Friedberg.

24. Michael Kors Handbags Outlet Online | March 24th, 2014 at 4:50 pm