This is one of the letters that I really enjoy reading after a long and tiring day – knowing that regardless of the painful decisions that our government has to make, there will be people who will be appreciating them at the end of the day. It’s also heartening to know that eventually, every Singaporean will stand firm behind the decisions made by our government and be supporting every single move that the government makes.

After all, united we stand, divided we fall. Together, we will go through tough times with all our fellow Singaporeans for the betterment of our future generations to come. People like Pavin makes me feel that I have not slogged in vain.

Kudos to Govt for making tough and painful decisions to make driving more enjoyable

I REFER to the letter, ‘Take holistic approach in easing traffic jams’ by Mr Chris Yong (ST, Feb 6).

I believe that Mr Yong has missed the whole point of our Government’s intention to make driving more expensive in Singapore.

Mr Yong wanted the LTA to build flyovers and tunnels for cars and light vehicles to get faster-moving vehicles off the road more quickly but this would not be feasible due to our space constraint.

Our road network takes up 12 per cent of land space, slightly less than that used for housing. It is an extremely large number and, clearly, continued increase and expansion of the road network is definitely unsustainable.

Also, Mr Yong should be more specific as to where the desired increase of flyovers and tunnels should be constructed.

The next problem is about cost. How would the Government fund those multi-billion dollar road construction projects? Obviously, road tax would have to be further increased if we desire an ideal and flawless transportation network.

The vehicle population of nearly 500,000 in Singapore is frightening and I support the Government in its efforts to up the cost of driving as I am willing and able to pay top-dollar for clearer and cleaner roads. Expanding the supply side of the road network is not the solution to the problem as, over time, the car population would further increase because of more space for cars and, eventually, abysmal gridlock would reappear. It is therefore a catch-22 situation if the Government were to expand the road network.

The demand side then must be targeted by further increasing toll prices and percentage tax on the open-market value of cars.

I do not understand why the Government offers a rebate on the Parf when its intentions are to make driving more unaffordable. The only reason why traffic conditions have only improved slightly after the increase of ERP rates and wider ERP coverage (leading to unhappy voices saying it is ineffective) is that the rates are still not high enough; not yet reaching the optimum level. If, for example, the ERP rate to enter Orchard Road via Cairnhill Road is $200, would anyone still dare to use Cairnhill Road?

I, therefore, applaud the Government for being undeterred in making tough and painful decisions for the betterment of all and, also, on the way to making driving an exclusive and more expensive way of commuting in Singapore.

Pavin Limanont

Article obtained from straitstimes.com on 9th February 2008

1. Mr Chin Chye Lah | February 10th, 2008 at 3:38 am

This guy’s name was familiar.

Guess what? The guy also wrote a ST forum letter titled “Let those who intend to emigrate opt out of NS” dated 18 Jan 2006. He has written a lot of letters. And you know what kind of letters that our nation building media likes.

Google the title of the above news article and his name. You will be surprised with you can find.

With regards to the 18 Jan 2006 letter, he has no choice but to serve in the end.

2. DK | February 10th, 2008 at 1:19 pm

Didn’t this Pavin Limanont fellow said that he wanted to renounce his Singapore citizenship at age 21 and emigrate to USA?

But his idea of setting ERP rate at $200 is good. Perhaps LTA should look into that.

3. Mr Chin Chye Lah | February 10th, 2008 at 1:38 pm

DK, you are so evil. Are you the other twin? The fee of $200 sounds just about right. Luckily, Oxley Road is outside the CBD.

He probably will do that after he served his NS, he is probably in the Republic of Singapore Navy, 191 SQN, RSS Endeavor (via Google search).

4. xizor2000 | February 10th, 2008 at 6:44 pm

With the same money they pumped into the UBS, Merril Lynch and Citibank, it’s a surprise this guy even asked this question.

5th or 6th Generation lea-duh in the making, apparently. I hope the likes of Lee Harvey Oswald gets to him first.

5. sathish | March 15th, 2008 at 2:51 am

What an interesting way to get people interested in reading! Book trailers are like movie trailers, but for books! You can find them all over the internet now, but here is a site that’s featuring them on YouTube. http://www.youtube.com/booktrailers

6. expododob | April 11th, 2008 at 2:22 pm

Hello my friends 🙂
    😉

7. Neopresent-new | July 12th, 2008 at 11:07 am

Good day to all

8. onertoozy | October 19th, 2008 at 5:54 pm

Hi people!
    The interesting name of a site – blog.simplyjean.com
    I today 6 hours
    looked in the Internet So I have found your site 🙂
    The interesting site but does not suffice several sections!
    However this section is very necessary!
    I have added you in elected!
    Forgive I is drunk :))

9. Oralflook | November 11th, 2008 at 8:46 pm

some of them are not bad but… internet is crazy

10. DelaySEOFactory | February 24th, 2009 at 1:46 am

empty

11. apofPeato | July 13th, 2009 at 11:11 pm

Hey guys,

I just joined this forum and wanted to introduce myself. I look forward to learning and contributing.

Cheers

12. setsGycle | November 9th, 2009 at 9:16 pm

Hi guys.
    My computer worked not correctly, many errors. Help me, please to fix buggs on my computer.
    My operation system is Windows XP.
    Thanks,
    setsGycle

13. Mikepseri | December 23rd, 2010 at 7:39 am

Buy Domain Names

14. AnorieCer | June 14th, 2013 at 5:41 pm

чудный веб сайт детский сад аленушка мытищи , город Мытищи.

15. Stespisyret | October 24th, 2013 at 8:02 am

[URL=http://democrasoft.com/wp-content/themes/democrasoft/2/how-to-wrtie-a-thesis-paper.html – How to wrtie a thesis paper[/URL –

16. xanax | March 3rd, 2014 at 8:56 am