A letter by the Ministry of Education was published in the Straits Times Forums today. It was meant to clarify what are the recognised local and foreign universities and what are not. Apparently, UniSIM is recognised as one of the 4 universities as mentioned in the letter by Perry Lim, Director of Higher Education. If that’s the case, what’s all the talk about Singapore coming up with a 4th university as mentioned so often by our ministers? Shouldn’t it then by our 5th university?

Or is it that UniSIM is not recognised at all and is just put there to silence out all the cries for recognition? Sorry about all these conspiracy theories, but I can’t stand it when groups of people start contradicting each other when they are supposedly from the same employer (i.e. public service?).

Which has university status and which hasn’t
THERE have been recent media reports about the establishment of Singapore campuses of foreign universities.

The Ministry of Education (MOE) would like to take this opportunity to clarify that there are four local universities (Nanyang Technological University, National University of Singapore, Singapore Management University and UniSIM). In addition, seven foreign universities have been established here as part of EDB’s Global Schoolhouse programme and they are: Chicago Graduate School of Business, DigiPen Institute of Technology, ESSEC Business School, Insead, New York University’s Tisch School of the Arts, S P Jain Center of Management and University of Nevada, Las Vegas. Together, these institutions provide a wide range of high quality programmes at the undergraduate and postgraduate levels.

Many foreign universities are also offering degree programmes through local agents which are considered by MOE to be private education organisations (PEOs). However, these PEOs do not have university status in Singapore.

Members of the public are welcome to check the type of establishment regime of educational institutions at MOE’s web page, http://www.moe.gov.sg under the heading ‘Education System’. Local universities as well as those foreign universities established as part of EDB’s Global Schoolhouse programme are listed under the ‘Post-Secondary’ sub-heading, while external degree programmes are listed under the ‘Private Schools’ sub-heading.

Perry Lim
Director, Higher Education Ministry of Education

Article obtained from straitstimes.com on 2nd April 2008 – Sun Yat Sen found the Kuomintang Party in Taiwan on this day

1. Daily SG: 2 Apr 2008 « The Singapore Daily | April 2nd, 2008 at 11:44 am

[…] Paper Chase – Simply Jean: So is UniSIM the 4th university or is it not?! […]

2. (^(oO)^) | April 2nd, 2008 at 7:10 pm

that would be a big yes, students can get subsidies from govt while studying in uniSIM

3. Vic | April 2nd, 2008 at 11:46 pm

NUS, NTU & SMU – Autonomous Universities

Being autonomous, these universities can chart their own destiny, differentiate themselves and pursue new heights of excellence in education, research and service, whilst receiving substantial government funding.

UniSIM – Private Universities – Comprehensive

SIM University (UniSIM) provides university education to working professionals and adult learners by adopting a flexible learning approach to enable its learners to balance their career, family and studies.

In summary, the first 3 uni are funded by Govt and private uni are not funded by Govt. Now they are working on a 4th Govt uni.

4. a tired man | April 3rd, 2008 at 1:40 am

In the other countries, their government takes care of their own people because they value them. However, in Singapore, thing is a bit weird. The government priority is to make more money than looking after their people. Money, money and money.

So, they tried to take advantage of the citizens by asking their people to give in to the country’s needs. Sounds funny? They didn’t say but I felt it that way. The “Education” in SG is a very good example. By bring in more and FTs means reducing in the need of education subsidy and increase the UNI revenue!!! So the locals have no choice but to go SIM. Pay more then. Gahman is then a big WINNER after all!! Why? SIM is taxed by the gahman!! Money Money Money!! WOW!!!

Let the FTs work in Singapore. Local wages being lowered and thus lured more companies in and hence, garman collects more taxes. An increase GST to tax the poor… more MONEY isn’t that great!! (I noticed our PM mention about making more and more money is very important) So, how much is sufficient? SGD $100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 trillions? Singapore is NOT an INC but a country that look after their people, isn’t it?!!!

What does Singaporean loose out? I believe in all areas… education… most Singaporean end up paying more for education when the FTs are paying lesser as compared (Local Uni VS “local oversea Uni”), loosing out to FT when looking for jobs especially for all the males (due to National Service), hence, protecting the FT’s life while the FTs enjoy to their maximum.

Talking about old age, I see my dad, who previously supports PAP is now scolding PAP almost everyday. Why? He was laid of and cannot find a job of the same income. My poor old dad, working for life but end up loosing a job that command a higher pay when he got old. My dad’s family suffers as he is the sole breadwinner.

Now, every goods on the shelves are on the rise. Our highly paid the gahman starts to blame the cause of inflation to the world situation and starts to hike all the prices of the goods. Aren’t they suppose the elites. They should solve our problem and not end the problem by sacrificing the Singaporeans’ interest. Sadly, with this, FTs suffer, Singaporeans, us, suffer BIG TIME!!!

I see that my dad worked so hard for the past years, and now he is old. The government shows no sign of appreciation. Our Gahman only know how to ask the Singaporeans to save up for old age and if not work till you die. WHY? Our dear gahman don’t want to spend money on the useless of people who had been working so hard before!!!

Simple mindmap:
    Born ~ Studyhard ~ If not please stay one corner and keep quiet. ~ Work hard, serve National Serve and don’t get kicked of by FTs or be sick ~ If so, your problem ~ Old age, Please take care yourself. You only have CPF to depend on ~ Come to me when you are dying of poor ~ if not, work to your death!! Does the pick card sound valuable? Isn’t it just too easy to get one and just too much obligations, with little benefit attached to it?

I felt that the gahman is merely treating everyone as a “legal slave”. If I ought to choose, I would not want my children live in this horrible, money minded, materialistic, moral lacking, ungraceful environment. I am watching my dad’s path closely and predicting my future. I inspire to be a teacher however I don’t want to be a local teacher. Why? There is no point putting myself into an education system which I myself are not comfortable with.

5. SGDaily Roundup: Week 14 « The Singapore Daily | April 5th, 2008 at 1:52 am

6. rk | August 13th, 2008 at 11:34 am

so.. is unisim a recognized uni or not?! that is the main damn concern. im sick of my friends telling me im wasting my time at unisim and that employers dont accept it.

7. aidilah | November 16th, 2008 at 8:22 pm

hei…stop listening to ure friends..good friends will encourage u to pursue for a higher education…for ure friends…hmmm i think they are just probably jealous…employers accept unisim graduates…but, if u are craving for a higher salary, i dun think so. jus study hard n try to earn ure first class honours. i am currently an undergraduate at sim global…uni of london…cracking my brain now to achieve good results. one of my seniors scored well n is now enjoying life at work. if sim global graduates are accepted to local industries…of course unisim graduates are accepted..its a singapore private uni.

8. エアマックス 紫 | July 6th, 2014 at 5:22 pm

I loved your blog article.Really looking forward to read more. Great.