I was thinking twice if I should post this here (because readers here are only looking at those socio-political issues?) but I was thinking… aiyah! whatever lah! Haha…

I had actually been contemplating about moving out of Singapore to either the US/UK/Australia or wherever that accepts me into graduate medical school (GMS) to study and eventually to settle down. This seemed to be a rather natural progression because if I had to apply for GMS overseas, that probably means that Singapore didn’t give me an opportunity to pursue something that I wish to do and pursue as a long term goal – and to return to Singapore after graduating from a GMS overseas probably meant that I’d be treated as a 3rd class citizen and 3rd class doctor anyway.

Returning to Singapore as a talent but still a Singapore probably doesn’t make me a foreign talent. I’d probably have to give up my citizenship and then come back as a foreigner that makes me a foreign talent – which according to local believes fetches more benefits.

Of course if I should ever move to another country, the purpose is not to come back as a foreign talent – but rather, I’d figure that they probably need "foreign talents" in their country than Singapore needs me. After all, Singapore probably gave up whatever vacancies to another foreign talent. Of course, I’d rather serve my country any time, and the good thing about being a doctor is that there’s no boundaries where patients are concerned because there should not be discrimination when saving a person’s life.

I digress. It’s about how I will feel after I leave Singapore.

I guess I will miss the country. I will miss seeing Dr Chee get himself into more trouble. I probably can’t miss much of the general elections because it’d probably be a walkover in the ward I am in. I’ll miss the food, my friends and my parents as well. This is a time when I wish that I have a loved one with me who can accompany me on this long journey but alas, I have none.

While the grass is greener on the other side, the road is going to be a little lonely. Walking alone will no doubt be tough, but I guess that’s the price to pay when you are in pursuit of your dreams and your country doesn’t give you that opportunity. Or is it because I just don’t have the material for it? (of course, the last question is rhetorical) =P

1. Onlooker | May 8th, 2008 at 12:44 am

This is the exact same sentiments some of my friend felt when they left Singapore for overseas jobs , about time the whole FT facade started.
    Would they return home? If our talent host countries give them incentive(union protection, French civil servant Nanny for mom with new born , UK universal health care ) to stay, they will stay on.
    Oh another thing, Know Why PRC FT want to come to Singapore first before going to European Countries like France/Holland(the richer ones).
    It’s because they (rich$ countries$) are looking for Singaporean( or anywhere with passable standard but !PRC ) scholars to go there and contribute. Coming here as a springboard can give them an excuse to say that they are Singaporean (once stayed in Singapore) Resident(as short as three year).
    In Dirty money term it’s called Money laundering, So I call this Reputation Laundering 😛

2. Eddie Loh | May 8th, 2008 at 10:28 am

Leave Singapore for good if opportunity arises before the Singapore fate end up in the bottom of the ocean.

I don’t see light at the end of the tunnel for Singaporean if the PAP continues to form the next Govenment. Singaporean will forever be treated as 2nd or 3rd class citizen in Singapore unless you are a member of the “Elite” group or know so and so who happens to belong to “Elite” group.

3. Daily SG: 8 May 2008 « The Singapore Daily | May 8th, 2008 at 11:18 am

[…] Daily Discourse – vinyarb: The hot seat [Thanks Richard] – The Online Citizen: The truth about life insurance – Rambling Librarian: Singapore Police Force in YouTube (or “Should our SPF have a blog?”) – Part 3 – Simply Jean: How will I feel after I leave Singapore? […]

4. SL | May 8th, 2008 at 1:15 pm

Both of my children are now living and working in Australia (Melbourne). Are they happy there? Absolutely yes. As a father, this is my greatest goal. Providing them the opportunity and encouragement to leave this hopeless place. The place I once loved but now I see no future. If you have the opportunity to move, just do it. Good luck.

5. tianhong | May 8th, 2008 at 3:22 pm

same sentiment here. but there’s surely a way right?

6. ricE | May 8th, 2008 at 3:33 pm

take things as they come, kick back and see what the future’s install for you. let adam smith’s invisible hand work its magic.

7. Eddie Loh | May 8th, 2008 at 3:36 pm

My reply to tianhong:

An already gone past expiry date old man once said that a military takeover is possible or tanks will roar the streets should PAP lost the last election.

8. MLMaestro | May 8th, 2008 at 4:55 pm

Is getting Masters and above the only way? I don’t see much of a future here too…not when FTs are flooding in like nobody’s business.

9. socom | May 8th, 2008 at 10:25 pm

Ultimately, there are still lots of opportunites to
    purse, after is mindset problem, be postive ,there is always light at the end of a tunnel.

10. Vincent | May 9th, 2008 at 1:13 am

In short – you’ll be liberated. Or at
    least I am!

Miss your friends? A calling card is just
    $10 of foreign currency away;
    Missing the food – 2 years to get over;
    Missing the country – less than that,
    surprisingly. [Nationalistic serfs –
    insert your snarky remark here ;p]

What is it that you do everyday that
    confines you to a 24x48km island?

11. SGDaily Roundup: Week 18 « The Singapore Daily | May 10th, 2008 at 12:56 pm

[…] Singapore Police Force in YouTube (or “Should our SPF have a blog?”) – Part 3 – Simply Jean: How will I feel after I leave Singapore? – vinyarb: The hot seat [Thanks Richard] – Singapore Life and Times: Card in cashcards – The […]

12. pkj | May 11th, 2008 at 8:29 pm

I am working overseas too …I asked similar questions…before I left. The first step is the hardest….but once taken….there is no more fear….the next, subsequent steps only makes you tougher and more appreciative of everything…Singapore and the new country. Thanks to our fellow bros/sis from Malaysia / India….local food is never too far away in a foreign country.

1) I never felt so “talented” when I was offered the overseas job and an attractive relocation package for the whole family. I am a “farmer” not “scholar” u see.

2) After 5 salary increments in 3 years …now contemplating going back to Singapore (for aging parents sake)… … bosses/colleagues here actually express their wish that I stay on. Even the “auntie” of the office says “why you leaving us?”

U may have difficulty leaving Singapore, I have difficulty leaving this country of which I am FT?