A flash fire occurred at the Singapore Power Building this morning at approximately 10:10am, triggering some power outage in the vicinity as well as emergency evacuation of workers and shoppers in the building and surrounding offices and shopping centers. 4 workers were injured while 1 suffered burns. No further information was available.

I guess this brings back the reason on why we keep having those time-consuming, work-interrupting and sun-roasting fire drills in our schools and work places.

4 workers injured in flash fire at S’pore Power building

By Jessica Jaganathan and Sujin Thomas

FOUR workers were injured in a flash fire which broke out at the Singapore Power building on Somerset Road at 10.10am on Wednesday.

One worker suffered burns while the others came down with smoke inhalation.

The fire triggered a 15-minute power outage in the vicinity, and prompted mass evacuation of office staff in several buildings in the area.

It is understood that a switch gear in a room on the third floor of the SingPower sparked off the electrical fire.

Office workers in the area heard a loud explosion, followed by black smoke rising from the building.

Some buildings in the area reported power failures, and immediately evacuated staff as a safety measure.

Some 500 workers in the SingPower building were asked to leave their premises and move outdoor.

The building management of The Heeren, which is about 300 metres away, also evacuated some 30 people from the shopping centre.

Mr Jae Liew, 41, a relations manager at The Heeren said he heard a ‘loud bang’, which immediately triggered a blackout in the building.

He added that the traffic lights in the area also went out of order.

A spokesman for SingPower said power was restored within 15 minutes.

Source: Straits Times Interactive, http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/STIStory_253809.html

Article extracted on 2nd July 2008



Reader's Comments

  1. hyperX | July 2nd, 2008 at 12:10 pm

    Thank God, there is no death involved. I wonder what causes the incident. They should really investigate and find a solution to overcome this problem permanently.

Leave a Comment

%d bloggers like this: