Approximately 1,000 Singaporeans give up their citizenship every year – and this is only based on data that’s derived from Singaporeans who denounced their citizenship and left Singapore is the past 3 years. I am not sure of their decision to give up the citizenship, but I suspect that it’s got something to do with Singapore’s stance on dual citizenship.

The country does not allow dual citizenship and Singaporeans who want to take up a second citizenship is supposedly forced to make a decision to give up one of the citizenship. Needless to say, if the Singaporean goes through all the effort to get the second citizenship, guess what he’ll choose? =) Nonetheless, it’s been rumoured that such declarations had been relaxed recently and there’s just a slight chance that the government might contemplate to allow for dual citizenship – although it’s something that won’t come in my life time.

With all the hearsay going around, perhaps it’s a good time to straighten out some… "facts". Apparently, if you decide to give up your citizenship, you’d be given some time to consider it. If you are bent on giving it up, then you’d be able to withdraw your CPF in full within 2 weeks. For male Singaporeans, I am not sure how things go, but I presume that it spells the end of the 10-year reservist cycle.

Anyone gone through such a process? =)

1,000 S’poreans give up citizenship each year

AN AVERAGE of about 1,000 Singapore gave up their citizenship each year in the last three years, said Home Affairs Minister Wong Kan Seng on Monday.

The reasons they renounced their Singapore citizenship ranged from marriage to foreigners to yearning for a different environment, he said in his written reply to a question from from Non-Constituency MP Sylvia Lim, who wanted to know how many Singaporeans had emigrated in the last three years.

Most of them took up new citizenship in countries in Southeast-Asia, the United States of America and Australia.

Mr Wong said Singaporeans who emigrate generally do not declare this to the Immigration & Checkpoints Authority (ICA) when they leave.

The only available data which gives an indication of the number of emigrants from Singapore is the number of Singaporeans who have given up their citizenship and left Singapore.

Article extracted on 22nd July 2008

1. Onlooker | July 22nd, 2008 at 11:40 am

But once left there will be a penalty for coming back.

2. tanyeo | July 22nd, 2008 at 2:12 pm

I also wan give up!!!!!

3. Vandalin | July 23rd, 2008 at 11:18 am

Last I heard, my relatives who migrated have yet to be able to withdraw their CPF.

4. The Singapore Daily » Blog Archive » Daily SG: 23 Jul 2008 | July 23rd, 2008 at 11:32 am

[…] Parliament 21 Jul 2008 – Sgpolitics.net: Ministry of Home Affairs in the Parliamentary spotlight again – Mr Wang Says So: The Emigration Surprise – Simply Jean: 1,000 Singaporeans give up citizenship each year – are you one of them? […]

5. rockeye | July 24th, 2008 at 10:50 am

My friend who had migrated to AU have encounter teething problem in withdrawing his CPF after he gave up his pink IC. According to him, it take ages for CPF to open her wallet. Looks like CPF also has cash flow problem; money always not enough.

6. The Singapore Daily » Blog Archive » Weekly Roundup: Week 30 | July 26th, 2008 at 11:50 am

[…] in the Parliamentary spotlight again – Mr Wang Says So: The Emigration Surprise – Simply Jean: 1,000 Singaporeans give up citizenship each year – are you one of them? – Sgpolitics.net: More Parliamentary […]

7. not-john | July 29th, 2008 at 6:03 pm

I think your reason for people giving up singapore citizenship may not be the true picture.
    My thought as follows:-

1. Part of them may be “new citizen” of Singapore, that their ultimate objective is for citizenship elsewhere and Singapore is just a stepping stone for them. Singapore Citizenship is so easy to get, we have actually cheapen our own citizenship.

2. Three-generation Singaporean, feel that they are not treated differently from one that has become Singapore citizen yesterday or Singapore PR. I once heard a Malaysian boast that why he want to become a singapore citizen when he is enjoying everything he needs, if he give up his malaysian citizen (as he has assert and business in malaysia) the malaysian government will give him a bad time.
    Why are our citizenship so “worthless” in people eyes, why are we cheapening ourselves.

Why do we need foreigner who do not value our citizenship at all?
    Why is our government treating our people same as outsider?
    If your parents treat an outsider same or better than you, how do you feel?
    Will you adopt a top student from your children class because he is a top students and treat him the same as your children? How will your child feel? I know that he may be better for the family …. proud to have a child that is top student but he/she is not your own blood. Is pride so important?

8. SGFRAG.NET | September 6th, 2008 at 7:58 pm

[…] Mediacorp has been roped in by the government to sooth the increasing number of Singaporeans forgoing their citizenship to live overseas. (No Ratings Yet)  Loading … | 0 […]

9. Cornelius | June 12th, 2009 at 4:06 pm

In general, most people whom want to be s’porean is very simple they just love our RED passport, to them is a gate way to haven as you know most countries we visit no visa require cos we’ve been NICE guy.

10. zztop | July 8th, 2009 at 1:40 am

If Singapore allowed dual citizenship many dual nationals will return and contribute. Dual citizenship is not all rainbows you know, it also means dual taxation. So you can’t say it’s a free ride. Singapore is losing all the talent of these people and also their tax revenue.

11. sternsss | March 6th, 2010 at 8:31 pm

I want to give up my pink ic too. You sure there are so much problems with the CPF withdrawal? Anyone care to share? that’s scary man. I want my money back when i leave.

12. black angel | April 26th, 2010 at 5:47 pm

i knoe of mant ft here in australia who just take up singapore citizenship and then move here.there are many who take up pr status and then come to australia. all the facities are in singapore to get here easily.and they have the cheek to call themselvels singaporeans too…

13. qing kai | November 25th, 2010 at 8:05 am

i am a ex-singaporean….i am a 16 years old kid…now i am a malaysian chinese

14. Of dual citizenship, national service, exemptions and your CPF money » Simply Jean | June 9th, 2012 at 12:49 am

[…] me renounce my citizenship, and more importantly, not allow me to withdraw my CPF balance? Since my last post about giving up citizenship in Singapore, many have emailed me to tell me that they have had […]